This book was wonderful! There were parts of it that shocked me because it described me so accurately and that was a little disturbing. It described the act of judging others as being "flattered by Satan," because as I'm judging others I'm really making myself feel better because of their shortcomings. I don't want to feel better because of Satan's flattery. One of the tips it gave was that I need to replace those negative thoughts with something....anything! So, I've come up with the idea that when I feel tempted to judge somebody, I'm going to think about an Elvis movie. That should give me plenty of footage to run through, and it's someting I enjoy thinking about. I'm hoping that if I can really focus on replacing those thoughts for a while, someday they will just be replaced on their own, and then eventually go away. Ah...the path to self-improvement is a long winding road!Monday, April 21, 2008
The Peacegiver
Dustin had to give a lesson to Colby's class yesterday on forgiveness. In his research and studying on the topic he read this book. Because he knows me so well, he recommended it to me. I have a problem with hanging onto grudges, being judgmental, and having a hard time forgiving others.
This book was wonderful! There were parts of it that shocked me because it described me so accurately and that was a little disturbing. It described the act of judging others as being "flattered by Satan," because as I'm judging others I'm really making myself feel better because of their shortcomings. I don't want to feel better because of Satan's flattery. One of the tips it gave was that I need to replace those negative thoughts with something....anything! So, I've come up with the idea that when I feel tempted to judge somebody, I'm going to think about an Elvis movie. That should give me plenty of footage to run through, and it's someting I enjoy thinking about. I'm hoping that if I can really focus on replacing those thoughts for a while, someday they will just be replaced on their own, and then eventually go away. Ah...the path to self-improvement is a long winding road!
This book was wonderful! There were parts of it that shocked me because it described me so accurately and that was a little disturbing. It described the act of judging others as being "flattered by Satan," because as I'm judging others I'm really making myself feel better because of their shortcomings. I don't want to feel better because of Satan's flattery. One of the tips it gave was that I need to replace those negative thoughts with something....anything! So, I've come up with the idea that when I feel tempted to judge somebody, I'm going to think about an Elvis movie. That should give me plenty of footage to run through, and it's someting I enjoy thinking about. I'm hoping that if I can really focus on replacing those thoughts for a while, someday they will just be replaced on their own, and then eventually go away. Ah...the path to self-improvement is a long winding road!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I like that book as well. It's a different point of view about our relationships with others.
Also, Jeff and Megan's daughter's name is AVA laura croft. Get it right.
At least someone is reading this thing and paying attention. :)
Erin
CAN I BORROW THE BOOK????
Post a Comment