Friday, April 25, 2008

Conversations with my 13-Year-Old Self

I recently downloaded the new Pink album - I'm Not Dead - and I love it. But, I'm still in the phase where I haven't really listened to the words on most of the songs yet, I'm still just getting to know the melodies. Anyway, this morning as I was running, this song came up called "Conversations with my 13-Year-Old Self" (playing on my playlist today). The lyrics are so beautiful...

You're angry, I know this,
The world couldn't care less.
You're lonely, I feel this,
You wish you were the best.
Come over here at let me hold your hand and hug you darling.
I promise you it won't always feel this bad.
There are so many things I want to say to you,
You're the girl I used to be, you're the heartbroken 13-year-old me.
I promise I love you
Everything will work out fine
Don't try to grow up yet
Just give it some time
.
I love this thought of being able to go back and talk to my 13-year-old self. 13 sucked! When I was 13, my parents had recently gotten divorced and I had moved to a brand new junior high school and didn't have a single friend. The funny thing is that as lonely as I was, I wasn't bitter or pissed off yet. I wish I could go back and tell myself that I would make it through just fine and to avoid all those negative feelings. However, having said that, I guess it is those experiences that make us who we really are. These were the deep thoughts that I was having during my run this morning...a little more existential than just thinking about my schedule for the day or what I'm going to eat for breakfast.

No comments: