My Dad is 63 years old today. That is crazy to me that our parents are in their sixties. I guess it makes sense because they are grandparents, but it just doesn't seem right. I can still remember when they were in their 40s and seemed old.Some of my favorite memories of my dad include when he and I went on a date just by ourselves. He took me to have ice cream, and I felt so special getting all dressed up.
I have always felt a bond with my dad because he and I have been the intellectuals (or according to my brothers the "dorks") of the family. No one else in the family ever liked to read for fun except us. We have always shared a passion for good books and learning new things. I attribute my success in school to him because I always saw him studying new things even when he didn't have to. He established that intrinsic desire to learn in me at a very young age. I have always been impressed by how smart my dad is and his ability to catalog information .
I also remember that my dad has always been very excited about holidays. He would always dress up in ornate costumes and makeup for Halloween and get very elaborate about decorating for Christmas. I still remember watching him make our larger than lifesize toy soldiers to guard the Christmas tree. He is very artistic and can draw anything, paint anything, and mold anything from clay. I was sadly not blessed with this gift like the boys were, and I have always really admired it in him.
I don't get to see my dad very often, but I still think about him a lot, and I hope he has a great birthday.
As an addendum, I just wanted to post the picture of Beck all ready to go trick-or-treating in his full costume with makeup and everything. He had so much fun going around to all of our neighbors' houses last night, until he got scared by a talking skeleton and almost fell off of their front porch. After that, he was a little hesitant, but we still got lots of candy and had tons of fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment