Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Blast From the Past

Yesterday was Calee's birthday so I thought I would show some of these awesomely hilarious pictures that I dug out. This is Calee and I coming home from girl's camp in eighth grade. Check out my huge bangs and Calee's huge glasses! Man we were cool!Calee was my first friend who tried to "improve" me. She tried so hard to get me to care about clothes, makeup, and accessories. I just couldn't quite capture the concepts yet and regularly looked either like a dork or a boy. On the other hand, Calee was always perfectly coifed and was just so cute. She and I were like the odd couple. She was into dance and I was into sports. We techniquely probably shouldn't have been friends, but we just fit. In junior high, we spent almost everyday after school together talking about boys, listening to music, or just hanging out in her backyard. I just liked this picture of Calee and Chad because they look so young...and yet we all thought we were so mature and grown up. I don't think I realized just how young we were at the time until I saw this picture. We wanted to grow up so fast....now I just wish I could be 15 and carefree again with my biggest worry being my next Spanish quiz. Unfortunately, I moved right before high school and Calee and I grew apart. We tried to stay close, but it was hard. She was busy with being a cheerleader, I was busy with volleyball, and neither of us had a car yet. Calee married Brent and soon had three children who are absolutely adorable. As I have been looking at her blog and current pictures of her, she still looks like that same 13-year-old girl I remember from school. She is just so cute.
Whenever anybody talks about a best friend I always think of Calee. She and I were inseparable and knew absolutely everything about each other. I loved her family and felt safe hanging out at her house, and she had a crush on my brother, Dave. I have so many fun memories of sleepovers, sneaking out, and ninth grade drama that all involve Calee. It has been so fun to see her blog and see her life now and her beautiful children. I hope she had a fun birthday and has fun being 30!

6 comments:

Calee Richards said...

Lara
Thanks! I miss you! I have great memories of you as well.I too like looking at your blog. Dave still is cute. Chad, wow havent seen a picture of him for a while. funny :. My sister actually found his blog. I will try to find it for you and send it to you again. Rob found us too. How do you find people? Are you still going to lifetime?
Calee

Bree D. said...

Good friends really do make life wonderful. I am glad to hear that you are feeling and doing better, makes my heart happy!

Abi said...

Okay you seriously need to tell Calee how to spell your name. Where did she put the U? You are such a sweet sweet friend and you seriously helped Calee out during some of our rough times growing up. Thank you for that!
And I am ALL ABOUT short hair. It's so fun!

Anonymous said...

Lara Child--
I've been looking for you girls for years! So good to see good friends again. Life is funny-- goes by so fast. Can't believe it's been half a lifetime since we last saw each other. I took many more Spanish classes after Oly Jr.-- and truth is, they never were the same without you! Drop me a line sometime-- robr@keprtv.com
Always a friend,
Rob Roxburgh

Anonymous said...

I meant Laura-- I swear! I was copying off Calee. I should know better than that! I spelled your name right on her blog!

Calee Richards said...

Laura.......... I got it