Wednesday, September 2, 2009

You Little Flathead!

So Owen has a flat head. It all started because he's such a dang good sleeper. He would fall asleep on his back and not move one little bit until morning. His head is so flat that we got referred to a craniofacial specialist to see if he would need a helmet.

We went to that appointment this morning and they measured his head. They told me that with a measurement of 4 or below they never treat it with a helmet. With a measurement of 5 to 9 they treat it with a helmet 50% of the time. With a measurement of 10 or above, they always treat it with a helmet. Owen's measurement was a 5.

The doctor said that we are just supposed to keep doing all of the interventions we're already doing, he gave us a groovy little head pillow, and that he will see us in a month to remeasure. However, he did say that he will almost certainly not treat his little head with a helmet. YEAH! It's a good day to be Owen's head!

2 comments:

jendingus said...

That is good news Laura. I hope my little flat head will start to round out too. I am so glad you don't have to deal with a helmet. Good job!!!

Wendy said...

I'm so happy for Owen's head! I wouldn't want to wear a helmet all day either. I love that happy baby! But you already know that.